Thursday, August 24, 2006

Un-zombie the Populace

"The pills are a concentrated dose of the same drug found in many regular birth-control pills. When a woman takes the pills within 72 hours of unprotected sex, they can lower the risk of pregnancy by up to 89 percent. If she already is pregnant, the pills have no effect."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/
082506dnmatmorningafter.2e86d579.html

When I look up the word "risk" in the Encarta Dictionary (the reference provided by Microsoft Outlook), I see, among others, the following definitions: "1. chance of something going wrong, the danger that injury, damage, or loss will occur. 2. somebody or something hazardous, somebody or something likely to cause injury, damage, or loss."

Is that what we have come to, to equate the conception of an innocent child to something going "wrong", something "hazardous"?? When did this happen? Do I only notice this now after having two daughters of my own?? Now that I think of it, I've probably seen such phrases as "risk of pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease..." How are those two results on the same plane??

The group Garbage used to be one of my favorite musical acts. I was a big fan in the time immediately following their second album Version 2.0. As much as I dug/dig her voice when she's on, Shirley Manson once said something that really tangled some words. She said she feared reproductive freedom was under attack. I thought to myself 'Yeah, maybe for hookers who work for pimps who sometimes force them to have sex.' People are free to reproduce or not. If you do not want to reproduce, either now or ever, don't have sex. If you do, use protection that prevents conception. If, however, you become pregnant, viewing it as something that went "wrong" or something "hazardous", and terminate that pregnancy because you do not want to bear the responsibility for your actions, shame on you.

No comments: