Thursday, October 19, 2006

What Rudy Could Do

Someone like Rudy might be good for the country, contingent on his views on judicial appointments. He's pro-choice. That is what would garner him many non-gop electoral votes. If he came out for W-like judicial appointments (one of a couple W stances/accomplishments about which there should be unabashed conservative pride), he could reconcile the two and show the real problem with rulings like Roe v. Wade (this is provided social conservatives are not as overbearing on legal conservatives as they are with regard to economic conservatives, which is my primary interest in conservatism).

He could say "I believe in a strict interpretation of the constitution. Does that mean I am no longer generally pro-choice? No. It means that I understand and have respect for the Constitution, particularly the 10th amendment. I believe, as Ruth Bader Ginsburg at the time, that such issues (gay marriage) should be decided at the state level."

No comments: