Thursday, May 03, 2007

Ignorance is Bliss, I guess

I've been thinking lately. You know how many people don't care to talk about politics or governmental actions or the like? I wonder if some people just believe a certain way and don't want to think they might be wrong.

I keep going back to a day when my coworkers and I went out to lunch and the subject of the minimum wage came up. One lady had been talking about it because her daughter just received a promotion and subsequent raise and thought her coworkers were about to receive a raise just because Uncle Sam said so. Another, however, said as much that she didn't think she agreed with me, but didn't want to talk about it. Looking back on it, I wouldn't be surprised if she put her hands over her ears when I said that it contributes to unemployment, especially amongst teens and minorities. This no secret. Yet, she'd probably be ok if the subject never came up again. I had the impression that she didn't want to go in depth about it.

And I'm wondering if I just discovered the reason why.

No comments: