Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Perverts?

I'm becoming more and more convinced that there is little reason for nudity and sex scenes in movies other than that it gives an actor/actress an excuse to kiss and rub on another, and a director an opportunity to be a voyeur. It all seems perverted to me.

Jenny and I recently watched Open Water. Not a bad movie, but why was it necessary to see them naked the night before?

Why did we need to see Kate Winslet, in all her glory, going at it in Little Children and The Reader? Does it not also take away from the viewer’s imagination if we don’t just see two people close a door behind them, and then wink at each other in following scenes?

Only two examples come to mind where I have no objection: my favorite movie, Boogie Nights, and White Men Can’t Jump. The topic of the movie explains the former. With regard to the latter, that’s just the way the Rosie Perez character dressed in private. I can understand if she occasionally ‘drops out’ of her shirt sleeves.

I’m curious to hear an argument as to why I shouldn’t think of these actors and directors simply as exhibitionists or perverts.

No comments: